The COVID-19 pandemic escalated pretty quickly & it can seem a bit overwhelming. It's hard to walk into a room without someone talking about it. If there is one thing everyone can agree on is that we all need to work together to minimise the impact of the virus. It's a big reminder that we are all responsible for not only our own personal health and wellbeing but also our friends, family, colleagues, clients & even strangers.
There's a chance that gyms & fitness studios around Australia will close down, which means we will need to improvise using at home workouts.
Here's some tips to stay on track with your fitness goals outside of your gym/studio.
1. Throw on your favourite activewear! Hopefully it's Leelo ;)
2. Get outdoors and go for a hike, run or walk.
3. Setup a space at home to workout. We have setup a small area in the backyard with a few yoga mats, dumbbells, resistance bands, a TRX, a skipping rope & a portable speaker. Grab your laptop, iPad or iPhone, search up at home workouts on YouTube and smash out a workout! Pamela Reif has some really good videos that your follow along. We tried this full body workout and it was perfect!
4. Start a new hobby! This is a perfect time to pickup a new hobby that will keep you fit and active. Have a think about some of these ideas:
> Snorkelling & Free-diving: This is a super relaxing and peaceful hobby & it burns calories!
> Surfing & bodyboarding: You don't have to be a pro! Get down to the beach & go for a paddle!
> Fishing: Girls can fish too! Grab some gear and get down to the beach. Fishing isn't exactly exercise, but you will find yourself walking from spot to spot which is great cardio.
5. Stretching & rehab: If you have any injuries, now is the perfect time to give your body a bit of rest and take the time to implement stretches and movements that will help rehab your injury. When this pandemic is over, hopefully your injury has healed up a bit & you will be ready to start hitting the gym with a little less pain than before!
6. Meal prep: Take the time to prepare healthy & nutritious meals. I would also recommend having some healthy snacks on deck to fight the temptation to binge eat whilst you spend more time at home. Carrot sticks, celery sticks & hummus are a life saver when it comes to snacking. Popcorn is also a great snack which will satisfy your carb cravings! Load up fruit too, a natural vitamin c boost is great for your immune system & skin.
Hopefully these tips inspire you to stay on track for however long it takes to get past the COVID-19 pandemic. Let's support each other during this difficult time and practice the art of patience & compassion.
Sean & Beth